[whatwg] Scrollable Tables and HTML5

Schalk Neethling schalk at ossreleasefeed.com
Wed Jul 21 11:43:29 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I have been working on getting scrollable tables working across all
browsers. While there exists jQuery plugins that does the job for the most
part, I have to find one that works 100% and works at all in Chrome. The
reason I am putting this to the HTML5 list is because I am wondering whether
there is something in the HTML5 spec that is going to aid in this regard.

In the current HTML 4 spec
(http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/tables.html#h-11.2.3) it is stated
that:

"Table rows may be grouped into a table head, table foot, and one or more
table body sections, using the THEAD
<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/tables.html#edef-THEAD> , TFOOT
<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/tables.html#edef-TFOOT>  and TBODY
<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/tables.html#edef-TBODY>  elements,
respectively. This division enables user agents to support scrolling of
table bodies independently of the table head and foot."

The only browser, including the IE9 previews, that has implemented this
behavior is Firefox. For the rest it is quite a terrible hack with
JavaScript to get similar behavior.  Is there any work being done get UA's
to implement this as a standard? Is there work being done by other working
groups, maybe ARIA, in this regard? Looking forward to your feedback.

Kind Regards,

Schalk