[whatwg] [URL] Starting work on a URL spec

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Sat Jul 24 00:00:59 PDT 2010

On 7/24/10 2:49 AM, Brett Zamir wrote:
> By the servers/scripting languages. While it is great that the browsers
> are involved in the process, I think it would be reasonable to invite
> the other stake-holders to join the discussions.

If they're willing to talk to us, great.  My past experience talking to
server developers has been ... suboptimal enough that now I just route
around the damage instead, by default.  You may be right that in this
case that's not a good idea.

> Hopefully to be fixed in PHP6 with its promise of full Unicode support...
>
> Though per http://www.slideshare.net/kfish/unicode-php6-presentation :

Right.  Not holding my breath yet.  ;)

> What I meant is to try to get the server systems on board to fix the
> issue, including in the long-term. I appreciate you all being admirably
> practical champions of present-day compatibility, though I'd hope there
> is a vision to make things work better for the future

Yep.  That vision is "always use UTF-8"; there are just coordination
problems getting there....

-Boris