[whatwg] [URL] Starting work on a URL spec

Adam Harvey adam at adamharvey.name
Sun Jul 25 20:22:39 PDT 2010

On 24 July 2010 15:00, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:
> On 7/24/10 2:49 AM, Brett Zamir wrote:
>> Hopefully to be fixed in PHP6 with its promise of full Unicode support...
>>
>> Though per http://www.slideshare.net/kfish/unicode-php6-presentation :
>
> Right.  Not holding my breath yet.  ;)

Worth noting that, in the PHP specific case, PHP 6 has in fact been
"reset". (Cancelled would be equally accurate, at least in terms of it
being a full Unicode extravaganza.)

At the moment, PHP doesn't really have any conception of character
sets anyway — strings are strings of bytes. Developers obviously
should be dealing with $_GET data as UTF-8, but in practice given the
amount of old, crufty PHP code out there written by people who've
probably never heard of Unicode, who knows what's really going on. I
suspect "the world is 7-bit ASCII" is still a depressingly common
attitude.

Adam