[whatwg] HTML5 Input (Color)

Leonardo Dutra leodutra.br at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 22:04:55 PDT 2010

Em 28 de julho de 2010 18:05, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com>
 escreveu:

> 2010/7/28 Leo Dutra ™ <leodutra.br at gmail.com>:
> > Hello, everyone.
> > I were asking myself about HTML5 input with type "color". I'm a
> brazillian
> > developer and I see a huge problem with the new input type. The problem
> is
> > that RGB color names are expected to be written in English. This is not a
> > good, or even, usability.
>
> There is no official list of localizations of the standard sets of
> colors.  It kind of sucks for people for whom English isn't their
> first language, but nearly all programming languages are based on
> English.
>
> Further, once you start giving aliases for some languages, it becomes
> hard to justify not giving aliases in *every* language.  This isn't
> very sustainable.

Yes, nearly all programming langs were written and based on English. But
this is not a development tool, IDE or language... it's the presentation to
the non-dev user, and it should be easy and independant of language. Don't
stuck the usability of the *World Wide Web* in some few countries that has
English speaking users, or it'll not take advance.

> > I'd like input type="color" to work for any
> > language without "porting acrobatics". So I have a new idea.
> > What about a color picker, and no more langs? ARGB or RGBA (with option
> > restrict to RGB, maybe other restriction patterns). It's independent of
> > language, easy to implement and much more usable. Social themes, HTML5
> slide
> > sites, RIAs, and all. Imagine the power of picking any color natively and
> > send a 0xff00ff00ff to the server.
> > It's still draft, and time to don't twist the web again.
>
> <input type=color> is *supposed* to expose a color picker.  That was
> its entire point, actually.  Webkit-based browsers don't do it right
> now, and just expose the validation part, where it requires a valid
> color.  Just wait a bit for the browsers to finish up their forms
> support, and you'll see a proper color picker there, completely
> language-independent.

"The  <http://goog_1610816/>input <http://goog_1610816/> element represents a
color well control, for setting the element's value to a string representing
a simple color." - HTML5
Draft<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/number-state.html#color-state>
What does "String" means?

> (Also, btw, <input type=color> will only allow selecting RGB colors.
> If you want the A, you have to handle it yourself, perhaps with an
> <input type=range>.)

I think implementing a <input type="color" value="0xff00ff00ff" /> or <input
type="color" value="255,255,255,1" /> or similar it's better than a internal
list.
The Universe has infinite colors. Human can see from red to violet. And now,
with rgb names, less. RGB names it's a bad way of picking colors.
I say we MUST have a color picker and a date picker (calendar). It's not
hard and carries much more freedom for development and usability.

Think again.
A hug for you all.