[whatwg] HTML5 Input (Color)

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 13:00:57 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 1:04 AM, Leonardo Dutra <leodutra.br at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, nearly all programming langs were written and based on English. But
> this is not a development tool, IDE or language... it's the presentation to
> the non-dev user, and it should be easy and independant of language. Don't
> stuck the usability of the World Wide Web in some few countries that has
> English speaking users, or it'll not take advance.

HTML5 does not specify presentation.  It's expected that browsers will
eventually display a color picker, like image-editing programs do.
Something like this:

http://www.colorpicker.com/

> "The input element represents a color well control, for setting the
> element's value to a string representing a simple color." - HTML5 Draft
> What does "String" means?

Some letters/numbers/symbols.  In this case, it needs to be in a
format like "#00adff" or whatever.  But this does not have to be
presented to the user.  When browsers implement this properly, the
user will see a color picker.

> I think implementing a <input type="color" value="0xff00ff00ff" /> or <input
> type="color" value="255,255,255,1" /> or similar it's better than a internal
> list.
> The Universe has infinite colors. Human can see from red to violet. And now,
> with rgb names, less. RGB names it's a bad way of picking colors.

It's supposed to be <input type=color value=#ff0000> or something.
<input type=color value=red> is invalid.

> I say we MUST have a color picker and a date picker (calendar). It's not
> hard and carries much more freedom for development and usability.

This is meant to be a color picker, and the date/time things are meant
to be date pickers.