[whatwg] "Content-Disposition" property for <a> tags

Roger Hågensen rescator at emsai.net
Fri Jul 30 19:27:40 PDT 2010

On 2010-07-31 04:17, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 7/30/10 9:57 PM, Roger Hågensen wrote:
>> and clicking the link will behave as if the user selected Save As from
>> UI context menu!</a>
>
> I would object to implementing this.  I have no problem putting up a
> dialog asking the user whether to save or open in a helper app, but I
> see no reason why I should force saving on the user, as a browser
> developer.  If the user wants to open your zip in a zip reader, why
> shouldn't he?
>
> -Boris

When I say the "Save As" UI I mean the one you get currently, which
varies, some browsers only provide a Save As and Cancel, while others
provide Save As with Open and Cancel.
So based on your remarks, maybe the spec could state that if a browser
believe it can handle the file type then it should present a Open + Save
As UI,
but if it can not handle the filetype (aka handling un-configured or the
user set the browser's settings this way) then it should just present
Save As without Open.

So thanks for pointing that out, as I actually have been annoyed in the
past with how different browsers do downloads UIs, and this time we can
actually establish expected default UI behavior from the ground up
(however the user should still be able to alter settings to change the
default behavior, and ther is nothing preventing a Browser maker from
enhancing the UI even further.).

--
Roger "Rescator" Hågensen.
Freelancer - http://EmSai.net/