[whatwg] Fullscreen for HTML5 Video element

Michael Dale dale at ucsc.edu
Tue Mar 9 18:59:39 PST 2010

balachandar muruganantham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have heard from people that there have been a discussion on supporting the
> fullscreen mode for HTML5 video element. can anyone share the information on
> the conclusion we arrived at? i searched in the archive but i could not come
> to any conclusion.
>
> -bala

I was part of the initial thread that was left unresolved. I would just
re-iterate that its important the fullscreen system does not deprive the
web designer of flexibility to do DOM overlays / layouts.

For example in the fullscreen mode in the html5 player in development
for wikimedia: http://bit.ly/aLo1pZ  We want to be able to display the
timed text as well as player interface in the "full-screen" mode.
Presently that is accomplish with a bit of hackery but works relatively
well especially if the user knows to press f11. Also should not be so
bad performance wise once all the hardware accelerated rendering browser
back-ends start landing ;)

peace
--michael