[whatwg] Spec formats

Perry Smith pedzsan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 19:44:18 PDT 2010

On Mar 23, 2010, at 5:29 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> Ok. So basically we are looking for a version of the complete.html
> file
> with an override style sheet for black&white and no scripts?
>
> I haven't done the styles yet but how's this otherwise?:
>
>   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/epub.html
>
> If that's something you can work with, then we can work out a way
> where I
> can make my update scripts invoke some script on your side to
> generate the
> document every 24 hours or some such, like the PDFs. (Mail me
> privately to
> set this up off-list.)

Between the last emails I worked on getting the w3.com single page
version to at least "load" into Calibre.  I discovered if I take out
all the comments, it loads.  My guess is that the state machine to
find the comments is ever so slightly broken.  It took me a few tries
to get it right too.

I then learned that ePub is basically a zip file of xhtml files but
each file needs to be only about 260KB.  If they are too big, the nook
will simply die.  Calibre tries to break up the output into files but
it can't.  I'm working on its options to try and teach hit how to
break up the output into separate files.

The file you produced I think is workable but I need to figure out how
to get the ePub software to be happy with it.

I'll let you know when I get something working.

Perry