[whatwg] Why is the legend element not categorized as flow content?

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sun Mar 28 20:40:55 PDT 2010

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010, divya manian wrote:

> I was curious to know what elements are not categorized so and found
> legend element[2] did not figure in the list. It is listed under
> phrasing content like i, strong, label and em (but all these are flow
> elements as well).

In what sense is it listed under phrasing content?

> Is there a reason why legend does not figure on that list?

It's just supposed to be a child of <fieldset>, so it doesn't have any
category at all.

> Also, since the spec states most elements are categorized as flow
> content, would it not be better to state what elements are NOT flow
> content?

All elements are not flow content except those listed as flow content.
Since the list of elements that are not listed is essentially infinite
(for example it contains all the elements in MathML, SVG, DocBoook, Atom,
etc) it would be hard to list them explicitly.