[whatwg] Why is the legend element not categorized as flow content?

divya manian divya.manian at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 07:02:33 PDT 2010

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 8:40 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> In what sense is it listed under phrasing content?

The content model for the legend is stated as phrasing content in the spec [1]

> It's just supposed to be a child of <fieldset>, so it doesn't have any
> category at all.

Thanks, the general rule [2] that is given in the spec seems to
include almost every known HTML4 element as flow content, but then,
legend somehow is not a flow content (even though it fulfills the
General Rule). I am trying to figure out if there is an easy way to
know which elements are flow or not other than referring to the spec
for each element before using.

Regards,
Divya

[1] http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/forms.html#the-legend-element
[2] "should have either at least one descendant text node that is not
inter-element whitespace, or at least one descendant element node that
is embedded content"
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/content-models.html#flow-content