[whatwg] Exposing spelling/grammar suggestions in contentEditable

timeless timeless at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 01:49:20 PST 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 5:57 AM, Charles Pritchard <chuck at jumis.com> wrote:
> A method for triggering a system/ua spell check via execCommand
> would be a small step forward. Is that something already available?

>  Afaik, it was canned from the early MS model.

Bringing up system dialogs is scary/surprising and could be annoying[1].

I'm waiting for the day when a security vulnerability is reported for
a system spellchecker. -- And don't laugh, the open source spell
checkers we've used have some really crummy code w/ a rather poor
track record when it comes to buffers and inputs. Thankfully so far
most attacks against them have been by dictionary vendors instead of
users, but...

[1] we still get bugs from people complaining about while(1)alert("boo");