[whatwg] Exposing spelling/grammar suggestions in contentEditable

Charles Pritchard chuck at jumis.com
Mon Nov 29 09:53:23 PST 2010

On 11/29/2010 1:49 AM, timeless wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 5:57 AM, Charles Pritchard<chuck at jumis.com>  wrote:
>> A method for triggering a system/ua spell check via execCommand
>> would be a small step forward. Is that something already available?
>>   Afaik, it was canned from the early MS model.
> Bringing up system dialogs is scary/surprising and could be annoying[1].
>
> I'm waiting for the day when a security vulnerability is reported for
> a system spellchecker. -- And don't laugh, the open source spell
> checkers we've used have some really crummy code w/ a rather poor
> track record when it comes to buffers and inputs. Thankfully so far
> most attacks against them have been by dictionary vendors instead of
> users, but...
>
> [1] we still get bugs from people complaining about while(1)alert("boo");

I'm not laughing: using the 'Help' menu in old Windows (what was that,
98?) to into explorer.exe was one of my favorite security holes. I don't
think it's unreasonable to expect that spell checkers would be
distributed within the browser. But I don't want to add on additional
burdens to UA designers either. I don't think it's reasonable to play
for system spell checkers to be exploited; if it's being tossed to the
OS, then it really is an OS responsibility. If there is an exploit via a
buffer overflow on a string/unicode pattern, it's quite possible that an
existing spell checker would fail within the existing scheme.

Regarding while(1) alert("boo") -- I really like how the "Ignore further
notifications from this page" option evolved to solve that issue. Spell
checkers have something similar that people are used to: "Ignore all".

With the system dialog: Isn't the point here, to maintain consistency
with the OS? Using an OS-level spell check dialog would do that.

It's not my favorite solution, but I'd like to find some way to inch
forward (giving up on taking full steps).