[whatwg] WebSRT feedback

Philip Jägenstedt philipj at opera.com
Thu Oct 7 13:06:57 PDT 2010

On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 21:37:06 -0700, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 10:04 PM, Philip Jägenstedt
> <philipj at opera.com>wrote:
>

>> Styling hooks were requested.If we only have the predefined tags (i, b,
>> ...) and voices, these will most certainly be abused, e.g. resulting in
>> <i>
>> being used where italics isn't wanted or <v Foo> being used just for
>> styling, breaking the accessibility value it has.
>>
>> As an aside, the idea of using an HTML parser for the cue text wasn't
>> very
>> popular.
>>

> I believe that this feedback was provided by a person representing the
> deaf
> or hard-of-hearing community and not the subtitling community. In
> particular
> at FOMS I heard the opposite opinion.

Is "this feedback" about styling hooks or HTML as the cue text format?
Both?

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 01:57:17 -0700, James Graham <jgraham at opera.com> wrote:

> On 10/06/2010 04:04 AM, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
>
>> As an aside, the idea of using an HTML parser for the cue text wasn't
>> very popular.
>
> Why? Were any technical reasons given?

The question was directed at the media player/framework developers
present. One of them didn't care and one was strongly opposed on the basis
of bloat. This was an aside, if anyone is serious about using the HTML
fragment parser for WebSRT, we really should approach the developer
mailing lists of media players/frameworks. I doubt we will find much love,
but would be happy to be shown wrong.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer