[whatwg] WebSRT feedback

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 13:18:37 PDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj at opera.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 21:37:06 -0700, Silvia Pfeiffer <
> silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 10:04 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj at opera.com
>> >wrote:
>>

>>> Styling hooks were requested.If we only have the predefined tags (i, b,
>>> ...) and voices, these will most certainly be abused, e.g. resulting in
>>> <i>
>>> being used where italics isn't wanted or <v Foo> being used just for
>>> styling, breaking the accessibility value it has.
>>>
>>> As an aside, the idea of using an HTML parser for the cue text wasn't
>>> very
>>> popular.
>>>

>> I believe that this feedback was provided by a person representing the
>> deaf
>> or hard-of-hearing community and not the subtitling community. In
>> particular
>> at FOMS I heard the opposite opinion.
>>

> Is "this feedback" about styling hooks or HTML as the cue text format?
> Both?

Oh, it was about the last sentence: about using HTML fragments in cue text.

> On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 01:57:17 -0700, James Graham <jgraham at opera.com>
> wrote:
>
>  On 10/06/2010 04:04 AM, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
>>
>>  As an aside, the idea of using an HTML parser for the cue text wasn't
>>> very popular.
>>>

>> Why? Were any technical reasons given?
>>

> The question was directed at the media player/framework developers present.
> One of them didn't care and one was strongly opposed on the basis of bloat.
> This was an aside, if anyone is serious about using the HTML fragment parser
> for WebSRT, we really should approach the developer mailing lists of media
> players/frameworks. I doubt we will find much love, but would be happy to be
> shown wrong.

The one I talked to said that HTML markup should totally be used in cues (he
even mentioned more generally why we didn't pick up USF). The reason being
that it clearly defines extensibility and would in fact already provide any
use case that anyone can come up with, thus stopping people from inventing
their own screwed up extensions, such as the use of ass commands in {}
inside srt subtitles.

The thing is: while the full set of features of HTML fragments seems bloat,
not every subtitle will consist of all the possible markup. Just like Web
pages are often created with very simple markup which uses less then 1% of
what HTML is capable of, we will see the same happening with subtitle cues.
But the availability and clear definition of how such features should be
used prevents the introduction of crappy extension.

Cheers,
Silvia.