[whatwg] Canvas API: What should happen if non-finite floats are used

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Wed Sep 8 11:00:09 PDT 2010

On 9/8/10 12:45 PM, Oliver Hunt wrote:
> I suggested this behaviour a long time ago after running into yet
> another piece of code that hit this case in webkit (back when the
> spec said to throw an exception) yet firefox and opera did not throw.
> In some cases firefox does throw, and in others it doesn't (or maybe
> didn't? has ffx behaviour changed?)

Gecko behavior for lineTo and most other canvas methods I see has been
to throw since late 2006, and shipped with the initial release of
Firefox 3.0.  At the time, the change was also backported to the Firefox
1.5 and Firefox 2 branches.

> and we came to the conclusion that as much as possible the canvas should silently ignore
> NaN/Infinite values.

Well, except that leads to incorrect rendering, as I said.  Was this
discussion public, perchance?

-Boris