[whatwg] Canvas API: What should happen if non-finite floats are used

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Wed Sep 8 11:03:55 PDT 2010

On 9/8/10 1:33 PM, Oliver Hunt wrote:
> Additionally there is content that depends on the non-throwing behaviour, in webkit we had to drop the exceptions that we threw due to content that worked in firefox because of the absence of exceptions.

I'm really curious about this claim.  Looking at the code, we seem to
throw on all the functions I see that take floats if the float is
non-finite, and those checks all go back to November 2006.  Were you
running into compat issues _before_ that or something?  Note that before
we added the checks we just passed the non-finite values to the drawing
library, which typically crashed rather than "silently working".

-Boris