[whatwg] Timed tracks: feedback compendium

Simon Pieters simonp at opera.com
Tue Sep 14 01:30:03 PDT 2010

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 10:11:16 +0200, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj at opera.com>
wrote:

> The point of a header is that browsers can identify WebSRT files and not
> keep parsing through a 100GB movie file,

I don't think we should break SRT compat for this. I don't think this is a
problem at all. We already have this situation elsewhere, e.g. what if you
do <link rel=stylesheet href=movie.webm>?

If it really turns out to be a problem you could just apply the hardware
limitations clause and abort parsing if you haven't found any cues after
parsing X bytes or whatever.

In any case, the spec currently requires text/srt (or other supported
subtitle format MIME type) for <track>, so a movie file would be rejected
based on the MIME type per spec (see step 4 in
#sourcing-out-of-band-timed-tracks).

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software