[whatwg] Timed tracks: feedback compendium

Philip Jägenstedt philipj at opera.com
Tue Sep 14 01:49:38 PDT 2010

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 10:30:03 +0200, Simon Pieters <simonp at opera.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 10:11:16 +0200, Philip Jägenstedt
> <philipj at opera.com> wrote:
>
>> The point of a header is that browsers can identify WebSRT files and
>> not keep parsing through a 100GB movie file,
>
> I don't think we should break SRT compat for this. I don't think this is
> a problem at all. We already have this situation elsewhere, e.g. what if
> you do <link rel=stylesheet href=movie.webm>?
>
> If it really turns out to be a problem you could just apply the hardware
> limitations clause and abort parsing if you haven't found any cues after
> parsing X bytes or whatever.
>
> In any case, the spec currently requires text/srt (or other supported
> subtitle format MIME type) for <track>, so a movie file would be
> rejected based on the MIME type per spec (see step 4 in
> #sourcing-out-of-band-timed-tracks).

Well, I was hoping to sidestep the issue of MIME types and file extensions
by always ignoring them. Last I checked Apache doesn't have a default
mapping for .srt, so everyone using <track> would have to add it
themselves.

About metadata, I noticed that there's a voice called <credit>...

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer