[whatwg] Html 5 video element's poster attribute

Shiv Kumar skumar at exposureroom.com
Tue Sep 21 11:17:27 PDT 2010

Benjamin,

Ok, I see your point. So yes, I'm asking for a better implementation of an
existing feature.

So far I've made two proposals as regards the video element's poster.

1. The poster should stay visible until the video is played, rather than
disappear as soon as the first frame is loaded. In addition, the poster
should not show during buffering or any operation during video playback or
switching video streams in mid step.

2. We need direct control over the poster.

In principal, both seem to have been accepted. The ongoing debate is about
how to implement, #2 above. So far there have been two proposals
1. Enhance the existing load() method to do this.
2. provide a spate method (for example setPostervisibility(bool)) to do
this.

My reasoning (mind you I've provided many use cases to support this) is
that:

1. Currently, the poster is treated as a stepchild of the video element in
that there is *no direct control* over the poster.
2. I also see the poster separate from the video in that it's only
functionality is show/hide (or fade in/out). Attaching it to
logic/processing sequences associated to loading and initializing the video
stream (which has many side effects) is not appropriate.
3. Being able to turn on/off a poster *without side effects* is very
important.

Shiv
http://exposureroom.com