[whatwg] Html 5 video element's poster attribute

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 05:14:34 PDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 9:54 PM, Chris Double <chris.double at double.co.nz>wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 11:50 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer
> <silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Removing the poster attribute is an option to turn the poster off but
> >> there is no way to turn it back on again.
> >
> > You just need to remember the value of the poster element before you
> remove
> > it - then you can set it back later.
>
> I might be misunderstanding what was requested but I don't think this
> would work. Setting it back won't make the poster appear. The original
> request was to have a way to make the poster appear or disappear at
> will. I don't think there is a way at all of re-displaying the poster
> without creating a new video element is there?

Ah I see that's what you meant. Yes, there isn't right now.

My suggestion was to adapt the functionality of "load()" to provide for this
need at the end of the video playback. For displaying the poster at any
other time, you would still need to run you own javascript code, but I see
that as a minor use case, so that should be ok.

Cheers,
Silvia.