[whatwg] Scriptable interface for video element FullScreen mode

Mikko Rantalainen mikko.rantalainen at peda.net
Thu Sep 23 03:11:47 PDT 2010

>> Is this proposal not good enough?
>> https://wiki.mozilla.org/index.php?title=Gecko:FullScreenAPI
>
> That proposal covers the video element but is way too broad. Digesting and
> analyzing it would take quite an effort. It will probably also require a
> really good test harness.

Are you trying to say that video elements should have a specialized
fullscreen API as opposed to generic fullscreen API that's suitable for
anything?

If so, I definitely don't agree.

I think that the Gecko Fullscreen API proposal is pretty good. I'd only
change
	void requestFullScreen(unsigned short flags)
	void requestFullScreen(unsigned short flags, function callback)

where callback function will be asynchronously called with true or false
once the UA has completed the request (true meaning the request was
accepted, false meaning that request was declined). In addition, the
proposal should probably suggest that request should be automatically
declined in case a new identical request is raised immediately after
declining previous request (denial of service attack).

What kind of digesting and analyzing do you think is required? An UA is
free to implement support for this API in a way that will ever accept
the request only if the requested element is the video element. In that
case, the API is a specialized video fullscreen API only. However, this
proposal has the advantage of not being limited to video elements only
in theory. Actual implementations may obviously differ.

--
Mikko