[whatwg] Low Memory Event

Charles Pritchard chuck at jumis.com
Mon Sep 27 16:44:11 PDT 2010

On 9/27/10 3:30 PM, Rob Evans wrote:

> I think one of the most useful things that a js script could know is
> how much memory is available and how much the current page is using.
> I'm writing a js game engine and knowing how much I can safely site in
> memory would be incredibly useful!
>
> On 27 Sep 2010 23:19, "timeless" <timeless at gmail.com
> <mailto:timeless at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> what exactly do you intend to do if you get such a signal?
>>
>> In general, this is mostly a user problem. There are two basic cases:
>> 1. user has one constrained device with one browser accessing a single
>> web site (yours) with no other open applications.
>> 2. user has a device with multiple open windows (various sites,
>> various applications).

I'm just talking about the bare minimum:
   sending a simple event window.dispatchEvent(lowmemory)
No details / guarantees. It's just a hint.

Mozilla has made efforts to handle low memory issues (allocation errors
or otherwise)
mainly in the handling of image resources. I'd like to see the practice
become
more widespread.