[whatwg] Search-suggestions without scripting

Randy randy at prowebdesign.nl
Sun Aug 14 03:06:49 PDT 2011

It is possible to use the new <datalist> element to provide auto-suggest without scripting. It's even possible to use an external (XML) file.
In all honesty, I don't see how Google or Wikipedia would add ALL their keywords to that list ;-) The spec used to allow directly interfacing to a server-side script, but that was removed due to simplifying the complexity.

Again, like I mentioned in my other e-mail, the behavior needs to be added unobtrusive, and that's exactly what Google, Wikipedia and a lot of other websites do. You can search what you want without JS, but when you enable JS it will enhance your web experience.

Regards

*in all honesty, I didn't know there were still people disabling Javascript in 2011. I thought "the hype" was now to be very restrictive towards (3rd party) cookies ;-)