[whatwg] Search-suggestions without scripting

Aryeh Gregor ayg at aryeh.name
Mon Aug 15 11:39:52 PDT 2011

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 3:26 AM, Timo Beermann
<timo.beermann at googlemail.com> wrote:
> The search-suggestions of search-fields as in Google or Wikipedia
> should be able without scripting, only with HTML/CSS. Because some
> users deactivate Scripting (for security or whatever other reason) and
> on other computers (school, university, work,...) you are not able to
> change the settings, even if you want to. E.g. I use NoScript and only
> allow scripting on very few trusted sites, that really need it.

Scripting is generally necessary to get dynamic content.  <datalist>
can be used to provide search suggestions, but they'll be static if
script is disabled.  Proper suggest-as-you-type functionality is
precisely the sort of thing that JavaScript is always going to be
required for.  Things that can already be done in script are usually
only be made into declarative features if they meet a very high bar:
they must be *very* commonly used, and there must be substantial
benefit to typical users (not just ones who disable script) from
having them available as declarative features.