[whatwg] Terminology: managed vs. manual transactions

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Tue Aug 30 09:12:54 PDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Aryeh Gregor <ayg at aryeh.name> wrote:

> In the UndoManager spec <http://rniwa.com/editing/undomanager.html>,
> there are two types of transactions: managed and manual.  Managed
> transactions are handled by the browser, while manual ones are handled
> by the author.  The term "managed" keeps confusing me, though.

Mn... I've never had that problem.  e.g. .net framework uses the term
"managed code" to mean the code that's garbage-collected by the framework
and "unmanaged code" to mean the code that manually manage memory among
other things.

Would it be better to call it managed and unmanaged?

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 11:39 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at opera.com>
 wrote:

> Or "user agent transaction" and "author transaction". (XMLHttpRequest e.g.
> uses author request headers.)

Mn... Jonas requested that I add separate method on undoManager for manual
and managed transactions so I'd rather not name one of them
userAgentTransact since the term "user agent" doesn't seem to be popular
outside of standard bodies.

- Ryosuke