[whatwg] Terminology: managed vs. manual transactions

Aryeh Gregor ayg at aryeh.name
Tue Aug 30 09:23:00 PDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
> Mn... I've never had that problem.  e.g. .net framework uses the term
> "managed code" to mean the code that's garbage-collected by the framework
> and "unmanaged code" to mean the code that manually manage memory among
> other things.

That's true, but many web authors aren't going to be familiar with
.NET, or any non-garbage-collected language.  "Managed" definitely
sounds ambiguous to me, and I've been exposed to more
non-garbage-collected code than most web authors.

> Mn... Jonas requested that I add separate method on undoManager for manual
> and managed transactions so I'd rather not name one of them
> userAgentTransact since the term "user agent" doesn't seem to be popular
> outside of standard bodies.

I agree that "user agent" is a very standards-y term.  Maybe
"browser-managed transaction" and "script-managed transaction"?