[whatwg] Constraint validation feedback (various threads)

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Feb 11 14:23:22 PST 2011

Following up on the e-mail I just sent, which was on the same topic (I
missed that there was more to the thread when replying to that one):

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010, Mounir Lamouri wrote:

> After Firefox 4, we would like to introduce a new flag that will let us
> know if the element's value has been changed by the user (probably if
> the _last_ change has been done by the user). The meaning of this flag
> would be to fix the retro-compatibility issues. Then, an element would
> suffer from being too long if this flag is true and it's value length is
> greater than the maxlength attribute value. In addition, users will be
> able to enter text longer than the maxlength attribute for textarea (and
> maybe input) elements. That way, we would be able to fix
> retro-compatibility issues and provide a better experience to the users.

Why would you want to make it possible to enter long values? If there's a
use case for it, I'm happy to address it, but if there isn't it's not
clear that we should change this aspect of browser behaviour, since it's
been pretty widely implemented for a long time.