[whatwg] Proposal for separating script downloads and execution

Nicholas Zakas nzakas at yahoo-inc.com
Tue Feb 15 15:33:51 PST 2011

As much as I love you guys, please make sure that only one of my email addresses is being used. I've had to remove my personal email address from this thread at least twice and it keeps magically reappearing. :)

I do believe that preloading of style sheets is a very different use case than preloading of JavaScript. I would also argue that the current rel=prefetch functionality probably works for most of the CSS preloading use cases (where you're likely fetching CSS for the next page you're going to navigate to, rather than for the current page).

That being said, I think we're going a bit off-track now. Both Kyle's and my proposals are based on already-existing functionality that we know doesn't break the web (code hacks aside). We'd both like to formalize that behavior in some way so that we can make better use of it. We should really be discussing whether any of the proposals are worth pursuing to any degree.

Some of the key questions in my mind are:

1) Should the default behavior for dynamic script nodes be to start downloading the file upon the setting of src and only execute when added to the document (IE's behavior) or not?
2) Can the proposals on the table be used to better detect the correct behavior from #1?
3) Are the proposals close to being feasible with, perhaps, some changes? Or are they completely outlandish and have no possibility of reaching implementation?

-N