[whatwg] Google Feedback on the HTML5 media a11y specifications

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 16:01:24 PST 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 3:26 AM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj at opera.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 12:57:02 +0100, Glenn Maynard <glenn at zewt.org> wrote:
>
>> Following up on a use case discussed earlier, an alternative approach
>> for adding mid-cue comments, such as editor notes, would be to wrap
>> them in a class: <c.c>comment</c>.  It's a little awkward, but has the
>> advantage of allowing the comments to be displayed within the
>> displayed captions just by changing the style attached to the class.
>
> I think it's not a bad idea.
>
> Pro:
>  - No new escapes
>  - Optionally visible when previewing e.g. a translation
>
> Cons:
>  - not hidden by default
>  - therefore, requires either assuming CSS support (boo!) or removing all
> comments before publishing

I would prefer if we could stick with a line based approach to this
issue and something that can be resolved without having to look at a
style sheet. If we do it this way, it doesn't become a pre-processor
type comment any more and leaks everywhere, which can be a real
nuisance, in particular for players that won't interpret the classes
and only strip the <c> tags.

Silvia.