[whatwg] File mode Database Storage

Shwetank Dixit shwetankd at opera.com
Thu Feb 17 22:24:24 PST 2011

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 11:38:16 +0530, Narendra Sisodiya
<narendra at narendrasisodiya.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Shwetank Dixit
> <shwetankd at opera.com>wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 11:17:51 +0530, Narendra Sisodiya <
>> narendra at narendrasisodiya.com> wrote:
>>
>>  I am trying to create a Quiz application. I am thinking to adopt on
>>> Client-only mode rather Client server based. On in other words, I want
>>> that
>>> student can share Quiz using pen-drive/disk-drive/attachment and just
>>> open
>>> in firefox/chrome. I am using HTML5 only. No place for any
>>> non-FOSS/close
>>> technology.
>>> May you please help that this is possible or not  ?
>>>
>> One option would be using IndexedDB, though its a bit low level.
>>
>> Another option could be to use use WebSQL which basically uses sqlite.
>> Though the standard is in impasse, its still supported in Opera, and
>> webkit
>> based browsers like chrome and safari. FF does not support it though.
>>

> I can use any DB technology, Only point I have that will I be able to
> open
> or parse the DB content locally ?
Depends on the browser. Some (not all) browsers do allow you to see the
contents of the db locally, at least when it comes to websql. I'm not so
sure about indexeddb right now.

Currently, websql has more browser support...but in the future, indexeddb
might have the same level of browser support, if not more.

--
Shwetank Dixit
Web Evangelist,