[whatwg] sic element, was: Re: Exposing spelling/grammar suggestions in contentEditable

Markus Ernst derernst at gmx.ch
Mon Jan 3 00:41:28 PST 2011

Am 31.12.2010 17:30 schrieb Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis:
> On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Martin Janecke<whatwg.org at kaor.in>  wrote:
[snip]
>> Apart from informing human readers about the correct reproduction of a
>> misspelled word, a HTML<sic>  would indicate the same to web applications.
>> Think of a search engine, which, as one factor of their ranking algorithm,
>> considers orthography and grammar in a page as quality factor. The search
>> engine could be made to ignore (reasonably few)<sic>-marked errors in such
>> an algorithm; i.e. not let<sic>-marked errors rank the page lower.
>
> Would search engines benefit from markup for this?

They could actually benefit, if the correct spelling would be added in
an attribute, so they could match the misspelled word with a correctly
spelled search term; somehow like:
<sic correct="choose">chuse</sic>

This would probably lead to abuse by seo trickers:

Also, I assume that this search engine benefit can already be achieved
with existing markup: