[whatwg] Proposal: Input Method Editor API

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sat Jan 8 14:50:38 PST 2011

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010, Hironori Bono (Ë·Ìî Çîŵ) wrote:

> In the w3c-international ML, we have been discussing to write a proposal
> that adds an IME API to HTML5. This proposal is not only for web
> applications to control a system IME but also to write an IME in
> JavaScript. Even though this proposal is still an infant phase, I would
> like to post it to whatwg to hear comments from HTML experts. Would it
> be possible to read the following document and give me your comments?
>
> https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B8eVDHQ9_22-MzJhMTg2YmItNWU3NC00NzJmLThlMTAtYmU1ZTBlZWJhNzM0&hl=en&authkey=CLLHkFw

I understand that it might be helpful for pages to contribute data to
IMEs, e.g. so that an IME doing text prediction can offer predictions
based on words the site knows the user might type (e.g. names from the
user's contacts list on the site). However, what's the use case for the
page writing its own IME from scratch?