[whatwg] Proposal: Input Method Editor API

Ryosuke Niwa ryosuke.niwa at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 17:57:28 PST 2011

2011/1/8 Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch>

> I understand that it might be helpful for pages to contribute data to
> IMEs, e.g. so that an IME doing text prediction can offer predictions
> based on words the site knows the user might type (e.g. names from the
> user's contacts list on the site). However, what's the use case for the
> page writing its own IME from scratch?

Off the top of my head,

   1. Users may not have sufficient privileges to install an IME - If I'm
   going to an internet cafe in the U.S., I wouldn't expect computers to have
   East Asian IMEs installed.  Web page that requires Chinese, Japanese,
   Korean, etc... can provide suitable IMEs so that users can use it.
   2. Not all IMEs are free - web page could provide an IME when the client
   doesn't have one
   3. Some IMEs are better than others - web page supposedly can provide a
   better IME.

Best,
Ryosuke Niwa