[whatwg] Proposal to extend registerProtocolHandler

Olli Pettay Olli.Pettay at helsinki.fi
Fri Jul 1 14:58:24 PDT 2011

On 07/02/2011 12:25 AM, Michael Davidson wrote:
>  From my perspective on Gmail, I would prefer to know if the user hasn't
> registered because they declined previously or haven't been asked. If
> they've declined previously, then calling registerProtocolHandler() in
> today's UAs will not do anything. If I can't detect that state, then they'll
> keep clicking and I'll keep calling and they'll get frustrated.
>
> I'd prefer if isRegistered() was something like registeredState() and
> returned REGISTERED, DECLINED, or NOTASKED. Then I could make a UI that
> really reflects reality.

Shouldn't there be also something like "NOTANSWERED", if user hasn't yet
decided whether to accept registering or not.

Though, I wonder if there is some privacy issue related to
isRegistered/registeredState(). Or there is - web app can
know whether it is being used as the default protocol handler
for some protocol, say mailto: with GMail.
But is the privacy issue bad enough to worry about?

Safer option would be if registeredState() would just return
"ASKED" or "NOTASKED"

-Olli