[whatwg] Proposal to extend registerProtocolHandler

Michael Davidson mpd at google.com
Tue Jul 5 13:48:53 PDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:

>  so I don't think the same standards should apply.
>>

> If anything, persistent permission grants should have a _higher_ bar than
> opening a temporary pop-up window...

Granting permission, yes. But just asking for permission?

I say it's less annoying because (in Chrome, anyway), the infobar that asks
for permission to be granted isn't modal, and the user can continue with her
work.

The UA should make it as clear as possible what the consequences are of
granting persistent permissions and how to turn them off. But requiring an
in-page click to trigger the permission in the UA doesn't seem useful to me.
If, for example, Amazon wanted to show me desktop notifications I'd just
cilck "no". I'd rather do that once then have some persistent part of the
Amazon UI dedicated to asking me to let it ask for permissions.

Michael