[whatwg] Proposal to extend registerProtocolHandler

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Tue Jul 5 20:02:48 PDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 2:12 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:

> Yes, I'm not saying in-page click is a solution.  It works for popups, sort
> of, but I don't think it does for permission request notifications.

To be truly honest, requiring a user gesture probably doesn't work for rPH()
because it doesn't actually work for window.open, or allowing executable
files to download, or any other purpose we've keyed off in UAs so far.
 That's because a click is not at all a good indicator of some sort of of
user understanding and intent.  The only thing it buys you is the
possibility that a visible UI change happens immediately after a user's
click and thus that in theory the user _might_ be able to guess that the
click triggered the UI change.

In any case I am not suggesting we spec anything regarding user gestures for
rPH() for now, it was an example of something we could try that isn't really
possible to consider unless we give webpages some sort of way to check
registration.

Also, I happen to agree with Boris that prompting for permissions is not, in
fact, less annoying than opening a new window.  Making prompts be non-modal
infobars does not mean they're suddenly friction-free and OK to show all the
time.  It's much harder to close an infobar, for example (no keyboard
shortcuts or OS allowances).  And the consequences of a user clicking "OK"
randomly to close a "grant permission" infobar are much greater than the
consequences of a user clicking a popup's close box.

PK