[whatwg] Proposal to extend registerProtocolHandler

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Tue Jul 5 21:51:28 PDT 2011

I don't think browsers need to prompt for registerProtocolHandler. Instead,
I would simply allow any site to register as a protocol handler for almost
anything, and remember all such registrations. When the user navigates to a
URI whose protocol has had an app newly registered for it since the last
such navigation, then prompt the user to choose which app to use. The UI for
that prompt would give prominence to the previously-seected app (if any),
followed by any newly registered app(s), and would remember the choice. The
UI could be modal or non-modal.

It seems to me that this approach would address the issues James Kozianski
raised in part 1 of his email, obviating the need for an isRegistered()
function.

Rob
--
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in
us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our