[whatwg] namespaces in html5

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sun Jul 17 22:46:14 PDT 2011

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011, David Karger wrote:

>   I wish to submit a comment regarding the (non) use of namespaces in
> html5. But I hope you might help me track down the relevant issue off
> which to hang that comment.  Some time ago I found a lengthy discussion
> of whether html5 should use namespaces, with an over-simplified summary
> being "we haven't seen any important use cases for them, so let's not
> bother".  I would like to respond to that discussion by proposing a use
> case, but I cannot find it. Searching the bugzilla database has failed.
> Would you happen to recall participating in this discussion and know
> where it is?

You can just post a new thread here.

I recommend describing the problem you wish to address separately from
your preferred solution. Also I recommend using a word other than
"namespaces" to describe your preferred solution, as that word is usually
used in the Web context to refer to some specific designs with known
problems, and it is likely that you actually want something different.