[whatwg] input element list attribute and filtering suggestions

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Jul 29 15:42:27 PDT 2011

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 3:22 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> > On Fri, 29 Jul 2011, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> >>
> >> The problem is the other way around. When wanting to show a short
> >> list that should be filtered based on user input.
> >
> > Why would it matter if the list is filtered or not when it's short?
>
> Choosing something at the bottom of a 10 item list is likely about as
> annoying as simply writing the whole email address manually and ignoring
> the <datalist> feature completely.

If 10 items is annoying, then it's not short.

> Has any browsers implemented the UI you are suggesting? Is any planning
> to?

I've no idea. It's incredibly early days in terms of implementations of
these features. We are still looking for better ways of implementing
maxlength="", which is something like 15 years old now. It'd be a little
premature to dismiss something so early on.