[whatwg] input element list attribute and filtering suggestions

Jonas Sicking jonas at sicking.cc
Fri Jul 29 16:08:32 PDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011, Jonas Sicking wrote:

>> > Why would it matter if the list is filtered or not when it's short?
>>
>> Choosing something at the bottom of a 10 item list is likely about as
>> annoying as simply writing the whole email address manually and ignoring
>> the <datalist> feature completely.
>
> If 10 items is annoying, then it's not short.

You mean "long", right?

>> Has any browsers implemented the UI you are suggesting? Is any planning
>> to?
>
> I've no idea. It's incredibly early days in terms of implementations of
> these features. We are still looking for better ways of implementing
> maxlength="", which is something like 15 years old now. It'd be a little
> premature to dismiss something so early on.

The ability to configure UI has been one of the big problems with the
existing set of forms, and is one of the biggest concerns with the new
set of forms (in particular the complex widgets like date/time
pickers), so your argument that this particular aspect does not need
to be configurable from the page seems like something that needs some
backing up with more than opinions.

/ Jonas