[whatwg] input element list attribute and filtering suggestions

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Jul 29 16:24:23 PDT 2011

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> >> Choosing something at the bottom of a 10 item list is likely about as
> >> annoying as simply writing the whole email address manually and ignoring
> >> the <datalist> feature completely.
> >
> > If 10 items is annoying, then it's not short.
>
> You mean "long", right?

No, I mean "short". I said that it shouldn't matter if you filter or not
when the list is short. You said that a list with ten items was annoying.
I'm arguing that that means the list is long, and thus not short, and
thus should be filtered.

My overarching point, however, is that this is a UI issue, and not an
authoring issue. Authors should be able to provide either a complete
static list of autocomplete suggestions, or a shorter list of relevant
suggestions based on the current user input. In both cases, the user agent
should be able to prioritise and/or filter the given suggestions in
whatever manner makes the lists most helpful to the user. Giving the
author the ability to prevent the filtering altogether makes sense if the
UA's filtering is not ideal, but it doesn't make sense to put in the
standard, since it's not yet at all clear that an ideal filtering is
simply impossible.

If, in the future, we find that it is in fact impossible for a UA to be
clever enough to have good UI whether the list is static or dynamic, short
or long, prefiltered or not, then it would make sense to study what
further controls we can give authors. It would make a lot of sense to look
at this at the same time as we look at other suggested augmentations here,
such as the ability for script to provide prefiltered suggestions directly
rather than having to manipulate DOM nodes to do so.

> >> Has any browsers implemented the UI you are suggesting? Is any
> >> planning to?
> >
> > I've no idea. It's incredibly early days in terms of implementations
> > of these features. We are still looking for better ways of
> > implementing maxlength="", which is something like 15 years old now.
> > It'd be a little premature to dismiss something so early on.
>
> The ability to configure UI has been one of the big problems with the
> existing set of forms, and is one of the biggest concerns with the new
> set of forms (in particular the complex widgets like date/time pickers),
> so your argument that this particular aspect does not need to be
> configurable from the page seems like something that needs some backing
> up with more than opinions.

I do not think the premise of this argument is correct.

Styling form controls has certainly been something we have failed to
provide hooks for, but that's an orthogonal issue, IMHO, and should be
resolved using some sort of widget binding solution, not more attributes
in the language itself.

If we had a widget binding solution then authors with especially
complicated needs could just override <input> and provide an
implementation of the widget that did exactly what they wanted.