[whatwg] Full Screen API Feedback

Jer Noble jer.noble at apple.com
Thu May 12 10:16:25 PDT 2011

On May 12, 2011, at 5:47 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> On 5/12/11 4:12 AM, Jer Noble wrote:
>> - Add a new boolean Element property "canRequestFullScreen".  This would map to Firefox's "Never" permission choice.
>> - Add the "fullscreendenied" event.  This would map to Firefox's "Not now" permission choice.
>
> So if the user just dismisses the notification without picking any of the choices then "fullscreendenied" would fire in this proposal?

I'm not trying to tell Firefox how to write their UI.  And I would never suggest requiring this behavior in a spec.  But, for the purposes of exploring this proposal, yes.

> What happens if the user then reopens the notification and selects "Allow"?

Assuming the targetted element still exists, and that the page hasn't issued a cancelFullScreen() request (or perhaps either of those conditions would cause the notification to disappear?) then the page enters full-screen mode and generates a "fullscreenchange" event.

Yeah, it's somewhat weird to get a "fullscreenchange" event after a "fullscreendenial".  But the spec already specifies that "The user agent may transition a Document into or out of the full-screen state at any time, whether or not script has requested it".  So the devoloper must already expect un-requested "fullscreenchange" events.

-Jer

 Jer Noble <jer.noble at apple.com>