[whatwg] Full Screen API Feedback

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Thu May 12 11:26:17 PDT 2011

On 5/12/11 1:16 PM, Jer Noble wrote:

> On May 12, 2011, at 5:47 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>
>> On 5/12/11 4:12 AM, Jer Noble wrote:
>>> - Add a new boolean Element property "canRequestFullScreen".  This would map to Firefox's "Never" permission choice.
>>> - Add the "fullscreendenied" event.  This would map to Firefox's "Not now" permission choice.
>>
>> So if the user just dismisses the notification without picking any of the choices then "fullscreendenied" would fire in this proposal?
>
> I'm not trying to tell Firefox how to write their UI.  And I would never suggest requiring this behavior in a spec.  But, for the purposes of exploring this proposal, yes.

Sure; the question was about how this proposal could work in existing
permissions systems; not at all limited to Firefox.

>> What happens if the user then reopens the notification and selects "Allow"?
>
> Assuming the targetted element still exists, and that the page hasn't issued a cancelFullScreen() request (or perhaps either of those conditions would cause the notification to disappear?) then the page enters full-screen mode and generates a "fullscreenchange" event.
>
> Yeah, it's somewhat weird to get a "fullscreenchange" event after a "fullscreendenial".  But the spec already specifies that "The user agent may transition a Document into or out of the full-screen state at any time, whether or not script has requested it".  So the devoloper must already expect un-requested "fullscreenchange" events.

Ah, ok.

I could probably live with this.  It still leaves weirdness in Chrome,
though, or other systems with a more persistent UI than Firefox's
current notification popus, if the user doesn't dismiss the notification
at all...

-Boris