[whatwg] Full Screen API Feedback

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Thu May 12 16:23:08 PDT 2011

[Re-CCing list, hope that's OK.]

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Jer Noble <jer.noble at apple.com> wrote:

> On May 12, 2011, at 3:49 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>
> On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Jer Noble <jer.noble at apple.com> wrote:
>

>> I understand what you're saying.  By making the error case deliberately
>> ambiguous, you're trying to force the author to behave in a certain way.
>>  However, I disagree that this is a) likely to work and b) likely to be less
>> confusing than the alternative.
>>

> We want to merge the "decision deferred" case with the "decision denied"
> case. It's a strictly simpler model. And by making them indistinguishable,
> we force developers to treat them the same way, so it can't really fail to
> work.
>

> Okay.  What about merging those two cases at the point where the user
> defers the decision?
>
> I had previously proposed that, for the sake of argument, a browser could
> dispatch a "denied" event when the user deferred a decision.  Wouldn't this
> also force developers to treat "denied" and "deferred" cases the same?

That only works if the browser can detect a deferral. If the user simply
ignores the browser's UI, you wouldn't know when to fire the event. And
there's also the issue of a "fullscreendenied" being followed by a
"fullscreenchange", which is weird, but I guess we could live with it if it
was the only issue.

Although, if the user simply ignores the browser's UI, maybe the browser
could fire the fullscreendenied event when there's next keyboard input or a
mouse click into the tab that requested fullscreen. But I just made that up
so I'll need to think about whether it's reasonable :-).

> So I'd argue that the case where a page author would have to wait any
>> appreciable amount of time before receiving a "fullscreendenied" event is
>> actually quite rare.
>>

> For what my sample size of one is worth, when Firefox pops up its passive
> "This Web page tried to open a popup window" UI, I usually ignore it rather
> than dismiss it.
>

> Interesting.  Does Firefox display that message for non-user-action driven
> pop-ups?  Or are those blocked silently?

It displays that message for non-user-action driven pop-ups. Popups in mouse
click events are automatically allowed (and open a new tab).

Rob