[whatwg] Proposal: "Offline-Capable" Meta Tag and API Indicates Application's Ability to Function Without Network Connection

Brian Blakely anewpage.media at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 10:04:53 PDT 2011

That is a *great* addition, thank you Justin.  Perhaps "offline-capable"
should be changed to "offline-status" with two possible parameters:
"capable" and "ready", the former indicating that the app has the potential
to function offline, and the latter indicating that the app can presently
function offline.  A blank or falsy status indicates that the application
cannot function without a network connection.

In this way, a UA will know when it is appropriate to communicate with the
user, and what to communicate.

Easy controls for manually refreshing the app cache would be largely
transparent to authors, and would allow them to be fuzzier with their
expiration dates.  Other kinds of syncing would require an event, so the
author can run some localStorage routines or what-have-you.

-Brian