[whatwg] Entering fullscreen when already in fullscreen mode [was: Fullscreen]

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Mon Oct 17 18:33:42 PDT 2011

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 10:00:51 +0900, Chris Pearce <cpearce at mozilla.com>
wrote:
> Yeah, I suggest that if requestFullScreen() is called when another
> element is already the fullscreen element, the new requestee should
> become the fullscreen element.
>
> A use case for this is: a fullscreen page with a cross-domain <video>
> and the <video> wants to go fullscreen. For example if a
> slide-deck/PowerPoint clone webapp goes fullscreen and wants to make an
> embedded YouTube video fullscreen. The easiest way to do this is load
> the YouTube video in an embedded iframe and (assuming you're using their
> HTML5 player and that uses the fullscreen API) click on the fullscreen
> button in its controls UI.

As I explained on IRC this use case does not work well.

Site A embeds site B. Site A goes fullscreen. Site B does
requestFullscreen(). Site B does exitFullscreen(). Site A is no longer
fullscreen.

Either we need to base fullscreen on browsing contexts rather than
top-level browsing contexts (how?) or give up on this use case.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/