[whatwg] Entering fullscreen when already in fullscreen mode [was: Fullscreen]

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Tue Oct 18 00:55:48 PDT 2011

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 10:33:42 +0900, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at opera.com>
wrote:
> Site A embeds site B. Site A goes fullscreen. Site B does
> requestFullscreen(). Site B does exitFullscreen(). Site A is no longer
> fullscreen.
>
> Either we need to base fullscreen on browsing contexts rather than
> top-level browsing contexts (how?) or give up on this use case.

On IRC we discussed a solution to this model. Basically a document in
which requestFullscreen() was invoked would have a flag set, so descendant
documents could invoke requestFullscreen() and when exitFullscreen() on
such a descendant document was invoked it would stop displaying ancestor
(and any descendant) documents in fullscreen up until the first one that
has the flag set. In addition there would be a "fullscreen element" and an
"original fullscreen element" for each document so when exitFullscreen()
is invoked you can reset the fullscreen element appropriately.

However, I just realized this does not work for the single document case.
You have a video player website and you host your videos in <video> or
maybe a <div> container. So your video player website is displayed
fullscreen, because your users like the fullscreen application feel from
their OS, but then they click to display one of those videos fullscreen
and once they hit exit the video player website is also no longer
displayed fullscreen.

Anyone any ideas?

--
Anne van Kesteren