[whatwg] Fullscreen Update

Jeremy Apthorp jeremya at chromium.org
Wed Oct 19 16:26:37 PDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 8:21 AM, João Eiras <joaoe at opera.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 17:15:11 +0100, Glenn Maynard <glenn at zewt.org> wrote:
>
>  On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 11:49 AM, João Eiras <joaoe at opera.com> wrote:
>>
>>  F11 and document.requestFullscreen() should produce exactly the same
>>> results, so, document.fullscreen would be enabled. And there's no reason
>>> not
>>> to (and otherwise would make the spec needlessly more complex).
>>>

>> There's no such thing as "document.requestFullscreen()" in the current
>> draft.  (It was suggested in passing on IRC, but it hasn't been discussed
>> here.)
>>
>> There's definitely a reason that the fullscreen API can't act like
>> F11-fullscreen.  F11 causes the whole browser window to be fullscreened,
>> affecting all tabs in the window.  If you change tabs or create a new tab,
>> the browser window stays fullscreened.  It isn't exited on navigation.
>> Pages should no more be able to affect F11-fullscreen than they can resize
>> the browser window.
>>

> I don't understand how that is an issue. It has been mentioned that
> navigating a document which has a fullscreen element would exit fullscreen,
> but not a document.
>
> Indeed the spec lacks document.requestFullscreen. It should be there for
> the traditional fullscreen without browser chrome, just like F11. Or
> instead, mention that calling requestFullscreen on the root would have the
> same effect. I'd rather have it directly on Document though.

On Chrome for Mac things are a little different:
- in F11 (cmd-shift-f) mode, browser UI can be summoned by moving the cursor
to the top of the screen
- on Lion, there are two "fullscreen" modes, one with UI permanently shown
and the other with UI hidden, but available by mousing to the top of the
screen

I think it doesn't really make sense to mix "browser" fullscreen mode with
"content" fullscreen mode. Content fullscreen mode should act like the
element popped out of the page and covered the screen. No browser UI should
be shown except the permission dialog. Navigating or switching to another
tab should exit fullscreen.

I don't know why a website would want to interact with browser fullscreen
mode, and I don't think it should be allowed.