[whatwg] Fullscreen Update

Glenn Maynard glenn at zewt.org
Wed Oct 19 17:00:08 PDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 5:21 PM, João Eiras <joaoe at opera.com> wrote:

> I don't understand how that is an issue. It has been mentioned that
> navigating a document which has a fullscreen element would exit fullscreen,
> but not a document.

If you're saying that fullscreen won't be exited on navigation when
document.fullscreenElement == document.documentElement, then that sounds
wrong to me.  Script-initiated fullscreen should always exit on navigation,
and it should never affect tabs other than itself.  (Otherwise, I don't
understand what you mean.)

Indeed the spec lacks document.requestFullscreen. It should be there for the
> traditional fullscreen without browser chrome, just like F11. Or instead,
> mention that calling requestFullscreen on the root would have the same
> effect. I'd rather have it directly on Document though.

Requesting fullscreen on the root would do something very different than
what F11 does.  Having a convenience wrapper that's simply a shortcut for
document.documentElement.requestFullscreen(); is harmless (though
unnecessary API bloat, in my opinion), but it's not an interface to "F11
fullscreen" at all.

F11 fullscreen is a window-level property, not a tab property, similar to
maximizing or resizing the window.  Scripts shouldn't have control over
that, and I can't think of any reason they'd want to.

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 7:26 PM, Jeremy Apthorp <jeremya at chromium.org>wrote:

> No browser UI should be shown except the permission dialog.

Other than UI that normally appears on top of the page, of course (alerts,
context menus, file pickers).

--
Glenn Maynard