[whatwg] Adding blending to the canvas API

David Geary david.mark.geary at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 10:36:48 PDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 2:17 AM, Ashley Gullen <ashley at scirra.com> wrote:
>
> > This looks very handy for games as well!  Things like 'screen' work very
> > nicely for some effects, especially explosions.
>
> Yes, these effects are very commonly used in games, animation and artwork.

And presumably having them implemented by browser vendors will be more
efficient than doing it by hand.

> Surely you'd want to extend the existing list of globalCompositeOperation
> > though?
> >

> That seemed the easiest way to go.
> I can see some edge cases that you wouldn't be able to implement easy (ie
> do a src-out with a screen). I think it would still be possible to do but
> it would take an extra step.

And presumably the extra step will be less efficient than if the browser
did it. Also, the developer must implement the extra step. It seems to me
that the extra step may also require an additional offscreen bitmap.

>  Otherwise you'd have to define how globalCompositeOperation and

> globalBlendOperation interact.
>

> > My spec is trying to define how they interact. Basically, blending is
> done
> first and replaces the original source. This new source is then composited.

Sorry, I’m confused. If that’s how they interact, then musn’t blending and
compositing be separate things? If you extend the list of
globalCompositeOperation valid values to include blends, then you can do
either a blend or a composite, but not both.

david